… or get him the help he needs?
Letting him be would be a third option… if he kept to himself.
Here’s the thing:
Kanye is either dangerously immature and ignorant, or he is genuinely mentally challenged1. There is no evidence to the contrary. There is constant evidence in support. You can check what he does and/or what he says.
- Go ahead and read his tweets. (You’ll have to search for saved copies. Kanye deleted all of his own tweets.)
- Consider his choices.
- Do a search for “Kayne quotes”.
- Watch an interview with him.
- Examine the depth of his lyrics. How many total words per song, how many unique words per song, how many misspelled words per song, how many vulgar words per song.
- You can examine the message of any Kanye song. (Hint: it is going to be shallow, tired, and vulgar.)
As my former students can attest, I have been saying this for years. I am glad that he is alive… but I do not understand how he has sold a single album2.
I feel for the guy. But I really wish he would keep his immaturity and ignorance to himself. Or get help for his mental disablitity.
Here are some things I hear supporting Kanye. Followed by the problems with those arguments.
- “He is a musical genius.” Impossible. He does not play an instrument (or even sing), much less has he mastered an instrument.
- “His albums are like, the best-produced albums.” You must not listen to a lot of music. All modern albums are well-produced. Including Nickleback (who are less of a joke than Kanye.)
- “He is a total innovator.” Which aspets of his music are innovative? The re-sampled loops from other artists, or the shockingly stupid lyrics?
- “He is the American Mozart.” Such things could only be said by someone who has never heard Mozart’s music and/or has very little knowledge of music. Kanye is to Mozart as kicking a bucket down some stairs is to classical music. If you have never heard classical music, and knew nothing of music, you might think that the sound of the bucket on the stairs was “genius”. (It’s not.)
Update: I changed the title. I am not angry at Kanye, I just don’t want us to throw our money at him or worship him.
Update: Someone else has written about this already. Plus, Kanye has been called dumb by many people. Including the President.
1. Kanye himself says he “has a little baby Tourettes“. Which is an insult to those with Tourettes. Much like his new song is an insult to people with Parkinson’s.
2. I feel the same about Lil’ Wayne: I am glad he is alive. But how/why has he sold a single album? I chalk their successes up to The Emperor’s New Clothes effect. Which is real and pervasive and powerful.