13-18 are important years. You have to obsess about what interests you during those years.
Always doing what you’re told doesn’t equal success. We want/need people asserting themselves.
Do not slip into un-living, or stalling (which means having tedious responsibilities and putting them off by wasting time). Not only does that kill dreams and potential, but you will miss out on real living.
Fulfill your responsibilities or fulfill your goals.
One part of real living is enjoying sports (and enjoying life!) but giving up any dream to play professionally. Statistically, you don’t have a chance of becoming a professional athlete, and there are more important things you can do with your time.
From birth, you have been sold a fiction that sports matter, and that you can easily become a famous, professional athlete.
Total number of people 18 and over in America: approx. 240,000,000
|OCCUPATION||TOTAL # IN U.S.||FOR EVERY ___ PEOPLE||PERCENTAGE OF ADULT POP.||WSHS GRADS* (statistically)|
|teachers (K-12)||7,500,000||1 in 32||3.1%||94|
|retail salespeople||4,500,000||1 in 53||2%||57|
|nurses||2,750,000||1 in 87||1.1%||34|
|truck drivers||1,600,000||1 in 150||0.7%||20|
|medical doctors||1,000,000||1 in 240||0.4%||12|
|police officers||800,000||1 in 300||0.3%||10|
|graphic designers||300,000||1 in 800||0.1%||4|
|professional athletes||19,000||1 in 12,700||0.008%||0** (1 by year 2034)|
* Number of West Salem High graduates: ~ 3,000
** As of 2013, there is a West grad in the NFL!
Forget About Money
If money is your thing (like Rockefeller: “Money was my destiny.”), then get good with money. Otherwise, forget about money and instead obsess over your interests and strengths.
- There are 425 billionaires in America.
- There are 3 million millionaires in America.
- There are 315 million total people.
- There is 1 billionaire for every 741,000 people.
- There is 1 millionaire for every 105 people.
- No one from West Salem High will ever be a billionaire. (If West graduates 300 students each year, statistically it would take 2,470 years to produce a billionaire. The whole state of Oregon has only ever produced one billionaire. A billionaire is a “Captain of Industry”, which means: a major player in a major industry. Typically, those industries are: oil, mining, real estate, finance, and technology. Typically, billionaires began working in their industry as teens.)
- Every WSHS graduating class will (eventually) produce three millionaires. (Look around. Find 105 peers. Are you harder-working, more focused, and luckier than all those? Then you are the one, Neo.)
Follow your bliss.
And don’t let money or professional sports cause you to stall.