Apple no longer seems to consider Microsoft the enemy.
There are two primary reasons.
One: It has been some time (and many products) since Microsoft made a product that seemed like a copy of an Apple product (which was Apple’s only contention with Microsoft). In 2006, the actual marketing slogan for Mac OS 10.4 was: “Redmond, start your photocopiers.”
Two: Apple has prospered, while Microsoft has stagnated.
- Ten years ago, Microsoft was worth 42 times more than Apple.
- Five years ago, Microsoft was worth 2.5 times more than Apple.
- Two years ago, Apple caught up with Microsoft.
- One year ago, Apple was worth more than Microsoft and Intel combined.
- Only five months ago Apple was almost twice as valuable as Microsoft.
- Today, Apple is almost 2.5 times as valuable as Microsoft.
In related news, Apple’s iPhone Is Now Worth More Than All Of Microsoft.
Reminds me of this:
What I can’t figure out is why he [Steve Jobs] is even trying [to be the CEO of Apple]? He knows he can’t win. – Bill Gates, June 1998
What useful themes can we glean from all this?